The "O" flute geometry introduced more than a decade ago is one of the most efficient flute designs for cutting thermoplastics that has yet been invented. With a high rake angle and relatively low helix, O-flute cutters manage to cut acrylic, polycarbonate, ABS, PVC and a host of other sheet polymers at very high chiploads without raising a burr or fracturing the edges of the kerf. All of this while leaving a remarkably clean surface finish. The real surprise is that this revolutionary geometry also works incredibly well in wood and aluminum.
One of the recurring complaints about O-flute tools, is that the high chipload results in "swirl marks" in the bottoms of pockets. For most applications, this is not a problem but, in the case of side-lit transparent acrylic panels, these artifacts can severely impact the quality of the engraved image. Our radiused micrO-flute tools virtually eliminate these cutting marks, yielding a smooth, near specular bottom finish.
- Geometry - radiused micrO-flute®, 1-flute, up-cut, center cutting
- Length - 1.5 in. ±0.010
- Diameter - nominal"±0.0005 in.
- Flute tip radius - Diameter X 0.18
- Shank dia. - 0.1250 in. (3.18 mm) +0.00, -0.0002 in.
- Max. runout (TIR) - < 0.0005 in.
- Max. depth of cut - EFL varies by
diameter ±0.005 in.
- Material - solid
- Ring Set - 0.800 in. ±0.002
RPM - CNC certified operation 20k RPM to 100k RPM
- High rake, modified "O" style flute optimized for cutting thermoplastics
- 1-Flute design allows efficient swarf removal under high chiploads
- Optimized cutting edge geometry designed for burr-free, fractureless profile cutting
- Radiused flute significantly reduces cutting artifacts in blind slots and pockets
- Medical fixtures and components
- Dental and Othrodontic appliances
- Integrated optical substrates
- Micro-fluidic control assemblies
- Interocular lens fabrication
- Back-lit and Side-lit displays and control panels